2/17/11

Western Steampunk Comes into its Own

The March issue of True West Magazine has a strong Steampunk component. I am proud to say I contributed a 7-page article to this, reporting on the increasing interest not only in the Steampunk phenomenon as a growing subculture, but a rising tide of Western focus within the larger movement.

While many still insist Steampunk does not truly exist outside the fantasy parameters of Victorian London, we westerners can rightfully claim that the first modern expression of the Steampunk esthetic was born in the 1960’s CBS television show, “The Wild, Wild West.” This unique show highlighted the actions of James West, a dapper 1870’s Secret Service agent who traveled the West in an elegant train car and used amazing scientific gadgets to fight crime and protect President Ulysses S. Grant.

The March issue is on sale now
The editors of True West Magazine apparently agree in that they have added an interview with Robert Conrad, the actor who portrayed James West in the TV series, to the March issue.

The True West issue also includes a beautiful 6-page Steampunk fashion spread, not to be missed by anyone loving modern reinventions of Western Victorian style. March will also see the debut of Wild Wild West Con Steampunk Convention in Tucson.

Viva The Victorian West!

8 comments:

N. R. Williams said...

Very cool. I remember that show, it was one of my favorites and so different than anything else on T.V. at the time.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium

Michelle Black said...

Hi Nancy--Yes, I, too, loved that show. Little did we know that 40 years later we would still be talking about it. :D

Becky M said...

I'm very excited about the idea of Steampunk in the West. I think it's a great way to be able to write about those days and do it in a fun way.

F. P. Dorchak said...

Okay, I swore I'd never use the "OMG!", but, OMG!--I LOVED WWW! That was one of my favorite shows growing up (and I still miss the show!)--and steampunk?! I never put the two together! Well, I certainly learned something, here, today. Maybe I will have to check out the genre. Huh...Wild Wild West = Steampunk. I don't know why, but I'm truly stunned--I'm sure Miguelito Loveless had SOMETHING to do with this....

Michelle Black said...

Dear Becki and F.P.--I think FUN is the operative word here. Steampunk is just plain fun. That's why I love it.
(and it gives me the excuse to wear really crazy hats!) ;)

Robert L said...

Wild Wild West Con. Tucson Arizona 4-6 March 2011 Tickets still available!!! Enjoy the west like you have never seen it before.
Robert Levin
WWWCon.VP

Anonymous said...

Where can we order a copy of the March issue?

Michelle Black said...

Hi--If you can't find a copy of the March issue of True West on the news stand (I often see them at Barnes & Noble),you can order single copies from the True West website: http://tinyurl.com/TWissue